The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program and Other Policy Updates (Virtual Event)
- 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: Practising Law Institute, Pro Bono Net, Lone Star Legal Aid and Texas RioGrande Legal Aid
The Practising Law Institute will be hosting a free one-hour briefing presented by Lone Star Legal Aid, Texas RioGrande Legal Aid and Pro Bono Net entitled The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program and Other Policy Updates on August 18, 2021 from 3:00 PM-4:00 PM Eastern.
This Briefing will cover two policy updates from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA):
- The COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program and
- Recent updates to the FEMA Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide.
In April 2021, FEMA announced financial assistance would be made available for COVID-19 funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020. This funding is available under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. In June 2021, the agency announced it would provide flexibility for documentation requirements. FEMA also recently updated the Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide, which outlines FEMA’s assistance programs after a disaster declaration.
Faculty members will present on:
- The basics of the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program and how applicants can appeal FEMA’s decision letter (25 minutes)
- FEMA’s recent amendment to the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program (10 minutes)
- Best practices for attorneys representing individuals seeking assistance through the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program (5 minutes)
- What attorneys need to know from FEMA’s recent updates to the Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide (15 minutes)
- Resources available to individuals and families impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (5 minutes)
This program is open to attorneys and other advocates working on natural disaster response and recovery, as well as anyone interested in learning more about FEMA’s new COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program.
- Amanda Bosley
Lone Star Legal Aid
- Brittanny Perrigue Gomez
Texas RioGrande Legal Aid
- Jeanne Ortiz-Ortiz
Pro Bono Net
- CLE Credit Comments:
CLE for Pennsylvania: One Substantive Credit
Attendance at this event is categorized as "distance learning" by the PA CLE Board. Effective January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021 the CLE Board has adopted a temporary policy to recognize live online programming by accredited distance learning providers as live (non-capped) credit towards lawyers' CLE requirement.More information on distance learning CLE credit.
Practising Law Institute800.260.4PLI