FREE CLE Program: Autism in the Courts and the Practice of Law
- Drexel University
In conjunction with Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, the ASERT Collaborative, and Drexel University, Supreme Court Justice Kevin Dougherty is bringing the nationally recognized Autism and the Courts Initiative to Pennsylvania attorneys.
This FREE CLE program will be presented virtually on October 25, 2023 from 10:00 AM-1:00 PM Eastern..The program will offer 3.0 substantive PA CLE Credits.
The latest 2023 CDC statistics show that 1 in 36 children, and 1 in 44 adults are currently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). In Pennsylvania alone the number of autistic individuals receiving services from the state has more than doubled in recent years, and research shows that individuals on the spectrum are almost 7 times more likely to come into contact with the justice system, often with adverse consequences.
This CLE will help Pennsylvania attorneys answer the following questions:
- What is Autism?
- What myths and misconceptions surround ASD and those who are diagnosed with it?
- How could/does ASD interact with the legal system?
- What advice can a parent and a clinician give to attorneys?
- What knowledge can Pennsylvania attorneys offer to their peers regarding the intersection of ASD and the law?
- Justice Kevin M. Dougherty, Associate Justioe, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Kate Hooven, MS, Justice System Consultant, ASERT Collaborative
- David R. Fine, Esq., K&L Gates
- Dr. Michael J. Murray, Medical Director of Autism and Developmental Disabilities at Sheppard Pratt
- Robert T. Moran, Esq.,The Moran Law Group, Scranton, PA
- Tamara A. Siegert, Esq., LSCI Coordinator, Allegheny County DHS, Pittsburgh. PA
- Hon. Derek S. Green, Esq., Former Philadelphia City Councilmember, Of Counsel, Obermayer Rebmann Maxwell and Hippel
- Attorneys / Legal Services