Applications Being Accepted for 2018 ATJ Tech Fellows Summer Cohort
- Access to Justice Tech Fellows
The Access to Justice (ATJ) Tech Fellows program is a 10-week fully funded experiential learning program that places law students at legal services organization to develop innovative solutions that leverage technology, data, and design to expand access to legal services and improve our civil justice.
The ATJ Tech Fellows program provides law students a dynamic learning experience that merges cutting edge legal education with practical experience. Applications are now being accepted for approximately 21 summer internship opportunities for law students interested in public interest law and technology through the program.
At the intersection of access to justice and innovation, ATJ Tech Fellows will spend their summer working on innovative programs and initiatives aimed to improve our civil justice system. Fellows will gain practical experience on the varied use of technology in delivering legal services and other translational legal skills.
With a goal of increasing law students' understanding of the systemic barriers that prevent so many from receiving adequate legal services, and empowering these students with the knowledge and tools to transform our justice system, the experiential learning fellowship integrates virtual classroom learning with practical application.
The program is split into two parts:
- Legal Access Innovation Curriculum: A series of eight webinars training sessions over a two-day period designed to educate fellows on the changing landscape of the delivery of legal services. Covering topics ranging from Plain Language for Greater Legal Services Delivery, Online Document Assembly and Automation Tools, Mobile Technologies in Legal Services and much more.
- 10-week Host Placement: Fellows work with some of our nation's most dynamic legal services organizations on innovative projects and initiatives that leverage technology to improve the delivery of legal services for low-income Americans.
All fellows will receive:
- A 10-week placement at one of our partner legal services organizations.
- A full-time workload. (35-40hrs per week).
- Designated on-site work space.
- $4,000 stipend to cover expenses over the summer.
- Training from our nation's leading legal experts in technology and access to justice issues.
- A dedicated supervisor who can meet with and provide feedback to the Fellow
- Opportunities to gain exposure to and skills legal services - or advocacy-related work
- Opportunities to gain exposure to the organization’s priorities and build networks within the organization.
- Access to mentors and support from our team
- A hosted blog, where fellows journal their summer experience and complete a series of teaming exercises.
Great candidates are law students with a demonstrated passion for social justice who bring an entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues, and developing solutions.
Deadline: February 9, 2018 at 8:00pm EST
Applications can be made using the Online Application Portal or you can Download the Application and submit the competed application package by email. More information on the Fellowship program is available at https://www.atjtechfellows.org.
- Law Students