Serving Veterans Series - Webinar 1: Research and Funding (Webinar)
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: National Legal Aid and Defender Association
The National Legal Aid and Defender Association will be holding the first webinar of its, Serving Veterans Series entitled Research and Funding on Thursday, September 5, 2019 from 2:00 PM-4:00 PM Eastern.
This webinar will provide an overview of the evidence base demonstrating how civil legal aid supports veterans and federal funding opportunities that can advance your work with veterans.
Veterans consistently report a high number of unmet legal needs: In the VA’s CHALENG survey of homeless veterans, four of the highest unmet needs were related to legal assistance. These issues were related to child support, eviction and foreclosure, restoring a driver’s license, and outstanding warrants and fines. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development estimates that on any given night, 37,878 veterans are homeless. An additional 1.4 million veterans considered to be at risk of homelessness due to poverty, overcrowding, and poor social networks. And almost 80 percent of homeless veterans have a mental illness or substance use disorder.
This webinar will provide:
- An overview of the legal needs of veterans and how legal aid helps;
- Where to find state and jurisdiction-specific data;
- What policymakers have said that shows legal aid is an important resource for veterans; and
- An overview of four programs that can support your work (SSVF, VETS, Grant Per Diem, and HUD-VASH).
National Legal Aid and Defender Association