The ABA’s Updated Standards for Unaccompanied Children, Practical Guidance and Advocacy Tool (Webinar)
- 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: American Bar Association Children’s Immigration Law Academy
The ABA Children’s Immigration Law Academy (CILA) invites you to a webinar presentation on the ABA’s Unaccompanied Children’s (UC) Standards. The standards, officially titled “Standards for the Custody, Placement and Care; Legal Representation; and Adjudication of Unaccompanied Alien Children in the United States,” were originally published in 2004.
In August 2018, through a collaboration of experts around the country, the ABA completed a substantial update of these standards. The goal was to capture the many important developments in children’s immigration law and policy, and continue to emphasize that regardless of politics, we must remember that we are dealing with children.
The webinar will highlight key sections of the standards and offer attorneys and legal staff suggestions for how they can be a tool for practice, including ethical concerns, as well as advocating for UC clients. Presenters will include the following contributors to the August 2018 standards update:
- Meredith Linsky, Director, ABA Commission on Immigration
- Maureen Ketler Schad, Pro Bono Senior Counsel, Norton Rose Fulbright
- Cristina Ritchie Cooper, Director of Immigration Projects, ABA Center on Children and the Law
- Yasmin Yavar, Senior Staff Attorney, ABA CILA
- Jennifer Podkul, Senior Director of Policy and Advocacy, KIND
An application for accreditation of this training will be submitted to the State Bar of Texas.
American Bar Association Children’s Immigration Law Academy