American Bar Association Military Pro Bono Project
321 N. Clark St.Chicago, PA 60654Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 800.285.2221
- Website: http://www.militaryprobono.org/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Military Pro Bono Project is a joint venture of the ABA Standing Committee on Legal Assistance for Military Personnel (LAMP) and the ABA Section of Litigation, with assistance from the ABA Center for Pro Bono.
Unlike several legal service programs that have surfaced to assist veterans, the Military Pro Bono Project is uniquely focused on provision of pro bono services to active-duty servicemembers, many of whom remain deployed to areas of conflict.
The Military Pro Bono Project helps servicemembers who are sacrificing greatly for their country by moving pro bono referrals straight from military law offices to willing-and-able private sector lawyer volunteers throughout the country.
All cases originate with a referring attorney in a military JAG office. The JAG attorney interviews the client, collects substantive case information, and screens for income eligibility, as most referred clients will typically have a paygrade of E6 or lower. The attorney will also determine whether the case is legally meritorious and has adequate cause for referral based on an analysis of a number of qualitative factors.
Once you are registered with the project website, you will be eligible to receive requests for case referrals via email when a servicemember has a case in your geographic area and within your substantive legal areas of expertise.
Registration with the Project does not guarantee you will receive pro bono cases. You will be approached to take a referral if Project staff determines a particular case is appropriate for placement with you.
When you receive a referral via email, you may either accept or decline the referral by simply clicking a link in the email. If you are uncertain about the referral and would like additional information, you may request contact from the Project Director to discuss the case further by clicking another link in the email.
To Volunteer: Register at: http://www.militaryprobono.org/.
- Location of Volunteer Opportunity: Pennsylvania
- Populations Served: Military/Veterans
- Projects For: Lawyers, Senior Lawyers
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Does the organization provide malpractice insurance for volunteers? No
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Other Long Distance Opportunities: Representation of active-duty servicemembers currently deployed.
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes