Welcome to PAProbono.net
This site contains resources for probono and legal aid advocates, law professionals, and law students to assist in your representation of low income or disadvantaged clients. Please join our community.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
The National Practice Areas listed to the left are practice areas moderated by national experts in those areas. To join a National Practice Area, select the one you are interested in from the list to visit to that area's homepage. On the selected National Practice Area's homepage select "Join this Area" to apply for membership to the practice area.
Over the past five years the ABA's Standing Committee on Pro Bono and Public Service has succeeded in creating an annual national spotlight on pro bono with its National Celebration of Pro Bono.
The annual Celebration is a coordinated national effort to meet the ever-growing needs of this country's most vulnerable citizens by encouraging and supporting local efforts to expand the delivery of pro bono legal services, and by showcasing the great difference that pro bono lawyers make to the nation, its system of justice, its communities and, most of all, to the clients they serve.
Although national in breadth, the Celebration provides an opportunity for local legal associations across the country to take the next step in their efforts to provide high quality legal services to those living on the social margins.
The 2013 National Celebration of Pro Bono takes place on October 20-26, 2013.
Please visit the Resources section of the National Celebration of Pro Bono website for great organizing ideas and tools. Free consultation services are also available to facilitate your planning. Contact the ABA's Center for Pro Bono staff: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Celebration website also features JUST Stories, a video quilt of stories that significantly impacted the lives of public interest and pro bono advocates and their clients.
Your own advocacy story has the potential to inspire and connect others to the essential work of providing legal assistance to those living on the social margins. Contribute your experience and tell how you changed your client's story, and made it a JUST story.
One story last year was offered by Chief Justice Ronald D. Castille of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court:
Pennsylvania Attorneys Honored for Pro Bono Service by Legal Services Corporation
The Legal Services Corporation Board of Directors honored pro bono counsel from Pennsylvania in a Pro Bono Awards reception that was held on October 21, 2013 in Pittsburgh. The board recognizied and presented awards to eight firms and attorneys from across Pennsylvania.
Those honored were nominated for recognition by LSC recipients in Pennsylvania.
The honorees are:
- Mary R. Bates, nominated by Southwestern Pennsylvania Legal Services, Inc.
- Ronald R. Bolig, nominated by Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania
- James P. DeAngelo, nominated by MidPenn Legal Services, Inc.
- Gregory L. Heidt, nominated by Northwestern Legal Services
- Pittsburgh Pro Bono Partnership, nominated by Neighborhood Legal Services Association
- Rieders, Travis, Humphrey, Harris, Waters, and Waffenschmidt, nominated by North Penn Legal Services, Inc.
- Joseph A. Sullivan, nominated by Philadelphia Legal Assistance
- Westmoreland Legal Foundation, nominated by Laurel Legal Services, Inc.
The reception was held at the law firm of K&L Gates. Speakers at the event included Congressman Chaka Fattah.
Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network Excellence Awards Recognize Pro Bono Achievements
Chief Justice Ronald D. Castille of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and Yvette R. Long, a disability and welfare rights advocate with the Pennsylvania Welfare Rights organization were also honored with the Outstanding Leadership in Support of Legal Services Awards at the event.
The list of recipients included individuals being recognized for pro bono achievements as well as a variety of civil legal aid professionals and other friends of civil legal aid across Pennsylvania.
Those recognized for pro bono efforts include:
- Cary L. Flitter, Esq.
Founding partner of the Montgomery County law firm Flitter Lorenz, P.C. and a leading consumer protection lawyer.
- Kathryn M. Kenyon, Esq.
Attorney and partner with the law firm of Pietragallo, Gordon, Alfano, Bosick and Raspanti, LLP in Pittsburgh.
- The Lycoming Law Association and the Lycoming Law Foundation
The Lycoming Law Association is the professional organization composed of attorneys in Lycoming County. The Lycoming Law Association Foundation is the charitable arm of the Association.
- David Keller Trevaskis, Esq.
Pro Bono Coordinator at the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
Other selected to receive Excellence Awards include:
- Judy Berkman, Esq., Managing Attorney for Regional Housing Legal Services in Glenside, PA
- Elizabeth C. Goodell, Esq. and Kerry Smith, Esq. of the Homeownership and Consumer Unit at Community Legal Services in Philadelphia
- Sol María Rivera, a paralegal with Friends of Farmworkers, Inc.
- Debra Wiley, Legal Secretary in the Bedford office of MidPenn Legal Services.
Video tributes were presented for each of the award recipients during the awards ceremony in Harrisburg. Those video tributes may be viewed at the link below.
Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Legal Services to the Public Committee of the Pennsylvania Bar Association
Pro Bono Center of the Allegheny County Bar Foundation
Philadelphia VIP Pro Bono Legal Services
Philadelphia Bar Association
Dauphin County Bar Association Pro Bono Program
Erie County Bar Association Legal Aid Volunteer Attorneys (LAVA) Program
Lackawanna Pro Bono, Inc. (Video Profile)
Pennsylvania IOLTA Board
Nominations Now Open for 2014 Pennsylvania Bar Association Pro Bono Awards
Pennsylvania Bar Association President Forest N. Myers has announced that nomination are now open for the Annual Pro Bono Awards of the PBA's Legal Service to the Public Committee.
This year marks the 27th year that the committee has sought individual award nominees.
This year also marks the tenth year for both the Judges Award and the Civil Legal Aid Attorney of the Year Award, given, respectively, to a judge and a legal services attorney selected by the committee in recognition of exceptional contributions to improving civil legal aid in the commonwealth.
It will be the fourth year for the Pro Bono Partner Award to a non-attorney who supports legal services to the needy.
The 2014 Pro Bono Awards nominations are due on April 18, 2014, and the awardees will be announced on Law Day in May and honored as a group during the Annual Statewide Pro Bono Conference on May 13.
The award winners will also be acknowledged at various pro bono events throughout the remainder of the year, whenever possible, by PBA President-Elect Francis X. O'Connor, who plans to continue to promote pro bono service and civil legal aid across the commonwealth by honoring these champions of pro bono during his bar travels, continuing the tradition of Myers and other past PBA presidents.
If there are any questions regarding the Pro Bono Awards, please contact Pro Bono Coordinator David Keller Trevaskis at 800-932-0311, ext. 2236; cell: 717-571-7414; or by email to: email@example.com.
Looking for someplace to volunteer?
Seach for the right organization in the
- REMINDER: Goffman Award Nominations Deadline is April 15, 2014, Mar 4
- Local Bar Associations Receive Awards from the Pennsylvania Bar Association, Mar 3
- Pro Bono Institute Honors Brad Smith and the Department of Legal and Corporate Affairs at Microsoft for Outstanding Pro Bono Service, Feb 24
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project - 2014 Winter Newsletter - Volunteer Attorneys, Feb 20
- Super Lawyers Announce 2013 Pro Bono Award Recipients , Feb 13
- Sixth Annual Public Interest Week celebrates “The Power of Public Interest at Penn Law”, Feb 12
- View more
Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network News
- PA Unemployment Rate Drops to 6.4% in January
- PA Human Relations Commission Receives $227, 000 HUD Grant to Promote Fair Housing in Southeast and Central PA
- Health Law PA News - February 2014
- New Fellowship Launched to Build Healthcare Expertise Among Civil Legal Aid Leaders
- LSC FY 2015 Budget Request Sent to Congress
- 2 Million Long-Term Unemployed Now Without Jobless Aid